I was moving an ASP/MySQL application from one server to another. The newer server was using MySQL 5 whereas I had been using MySQL 3.23.
I got the following error message when the field in the database was returning a NULL value:
Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors
I struggled with it for a while and tried changing many things e.g. Connection String Option=16387
The solution was to amend the CursorLocation variable on my database connection. I had been setting it to:
myRecordset.CursorLocation = 2 ‘ i.e. adUseServer
but I changed it to:
myRecordset.CursorLocation = 3 ‘i.e. adUseClient
This solved the problem.